Thursday, September 20, 2012

Book Excerpt: Anomaly








Book Two of the "Shadow" Series

Luke looked away Justin and toward the window. The light reflected on his smooth skin. “Not a lot of men intimidate me,” Luke said in a low voice. “But I can honestly say that particular man does.”
Justin had not known Luke long at all, but the concept of him being intimidated by anyone seemed almost entirely impossible. “I wanna know exactly what’s so intimidating about Caleb.”
“Are you intimidated by me?” Luke questioned. He drank from his glass, with his eyes piercing Justin’s.
“I…” Suddenly, Justin found himself lost for words, not knowing what to say. “No, I’m not.” He knew that came out forced and unconvincing, and he also knew Luke knew as well.
“Be honest,” Luke said.
Justin sucked in a deep breath and took another swig from his glass. His head and body began to relax with the alcohol’s effect…or maybe it was Luke’s effect. “I guess you do intimidate me a little.”
“Why?”
“What’s up with the interrogation?” Justin countered. “I’m the one that’s supposed to be asking the questions here.”
“Answer mine first.”
Justin rolled his eyes. “You have too much power and you can’t be trusted.”
For a moment, Luke looked offended by Justin’s statement. His expression softened a little as he spoke again. “Well, if that’s what you think about me, Caleb Grayson is five times more powerful…more than that probably. For his age, his psychic ability is very huge.”
“How can one person be that powerful?” Justin asked.
“Caleb Grayson is an Anomaly,” Luke stated. “There’s not many people like him in the world.”
“You said that like I know what ‘Anomaly’ means.”
Luke shuffled a little in his seat. “You have different types of people in the world: you have, what you would call ‘normal’ people, like your Produce boy, with little or no psychic awareness at all; then you got people like your friend, Blake, people with a heightened psychic awareness, but there’s a cap on how much psychic ability they’ll attain in their lifetimes.  Last, you got people like Caleb Grayson and your friend, Nate…people who have exceptional psychic awareness, and there’s no limit to the abilities they will obtain over their lifetimes. I call them Anomalies.”
Justin did not know what was more disturbing: that Caleb was exponentially strong because he was some freak of nature, or that Luke had included Nathan in that category as well.
“So Nate is an Anomaly, too?”
“They’re brothers,” Luke said simply.
“I just thought that he can read minds and see in to the future.”
“That’s what he wants you to think.”
The conversation had taken a twist that made Justin start to feel very uncomfortable. “Nate’s my friend. He’s done a lot for me since I’ve known him. I used to be a real hot mess before I met him.” Justin paused briefly. “Now I’m more of a warm mess...” The alcohol was almost kicking into full gear now. “Anyway, Nate isn’t some evil person.”
“’Evil’ is such a passé word and idea,” Luke answered. “There’s no such thing as someone being one hundred percent victim, or one hundred percent villain.”
“True,” Justin said, “but what are you trying to say?”
“I’m saying Caleb Grayson isn’t the only man you need to be worried about,” Luke answered. “Your friend, I wouldn’t trust him if I were you.”
Justin’s blood nearly went cold. That’s what he said in my dream…
Luke must have heard Justin’s thoughts. He raised his glass toward Justin, as in a salute, and then downed the rest of his drink until only the ice remained.


Check out the full book here:

Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/Anomaly-Shadow-Series-Book-ebook/dp/B006A2RLWW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348187771&sr=8-1&keywords=anomaly+michael+booker

Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/170665

Paperback: http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/2673189

Also check out "Shadow" and "Echo"

Fourth book "Whisper" available October 9, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment