Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Book Excerpt: Freshman 5


Nick laughed. “You know what I mean. I don’t think you’re mad at him for not always bein’ there when you want him to be. I think you’re mad `cause this whole college experience is not fittin’ into whatever dream you had in your head.”
“Not sure if I like you trying to psychoanalyze me, while I’m trying to get high.”
“You asked me for my opinion, B.”
“You’re right. I did. So tell me your suggestions on what you think I should do about this situation.”
Nick flared up and took a few hits. “I agree that you guys should take a break…a friendly break, though. Give it a few weeks. Maybe a month or two. See how you guys feel by winter vacation. Check out your options.”
“Options?” I asked, taking the pipe back from Nick.
“There’s over twenty thousand people that go to this school, man. I’m sure you can find some guys that might interest you.”
“Like who?”
“Like Derek,” Nick responded. “He’s into you, B. You’re into him.”
“How do you know that?”
“I can tell by the way he looks at you…and by the way you look at his ass.”
“Even, if Derek does like me...I’d feel bad trying to pursue something with him. Chris is still in the picture.”
“Thought the whole point of this conversation has been that Chris hasn’t been in the picture.”
“I mean, yeah, but…a part of me would still feel guilty. Like I was cheating on him or something.”
“You wouldn’t be if you both took a break. That way, you get to do your thing…Chris gets to do his thing…and then after some time passes, you guys can decide if you’re better bein’ in a relationship, or just better off as friends.”
Maybe it was because I was high, but a lot of what Nick said made sense.
“Speakin’ of which,” Nick said. “Did you tell Chris what happened Saturday night?”
“You’re talking about the club?”
Nick looked over at me. Even in the dark, I could see his sexy eyes clearly. “Yeah, when we kissed.”
My stomach fluttered. Of the two of us, I’d never expected Nick to bring it up. I was okay about keeping the issue silent between us, but at the same time, I thought it was something that we both needed to clear the air about. “No,” I told him. “I didn’t say anything to him about it. The only person who knows about it, is Summer.”
Nick groaned. “Fuck…you told Summer?”
“You know her. She kinda yanked it out of me.”
“She probably thinks I’m gay now.”
“No, I don’t think so. I told her you were just drunk and feeling the environment. It wasn’t a big deal.”
Nick was silent for a little while. “As long as she doesn’t tell anyone, then I’m cool.”
“She won’t. Summer can be loud and really talkative at times, but she’s not mean.”
Once again, we both settled into a comfortable silence for a few minutes.
“Gotta admit though,” Nick said. “You are a good kisser, B.”
I wasn’t sure if I heard him correctly. “Really?”

===================================

"Freshman 5" will be available September 3, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment